Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Bald Eagle - In The Neighborhood

Via Flickr:
With migration underway, I make it a habit of scanning the lake every morning to see if any new waterfowl have arrived overnight. I had spotted a single Pied-billed Grebe on the distant shore and was preparing to look at it through my spotting scope. I double checked the location of the grebe through my binoculars when suddenly a large black bird flew into view coming straight for my house from the other side of the lake. I quickly set the scope down, grabbed the binoculars and confirmed it was a Bald Eagle flying over the lake. A birder's thrill if there ever was one, at least for this birder.

I don't know why I do this, but I screamed out BALD EAGLE, maybe because I really enjoy seeing these birds and my husband happened to be home at the time. I guess I also wanted him to know what I had found and not to be concerned when I raced out the front door with my camera in hand. We have been married 27 years, so he knows when I go racing for the door with my camera in hand there is no time for an explanation, only for a photo of whatever has sparked my frenzied departure out the door.

I had enough time to get several shots as the Bald Eagle circled the area for several minutes at low altitude no doubt looking for fish to catch. The eagle continued on its flight over to Long Lake and out of my view, and I thought I wasn't going to be able to go birding this morning. I birded from the front lawn and seeing one of my personal favorites, the Bald Eagle.

No comments: