Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spring Migration - Bald Eagle in Commerce Twp., MI




The first full day of spring was graced with beautiful blue skies and pleasant (for March) temperatures. When we are treated to such a marvelous day in Southeast Michigan, one can't help but look up into the sky with amazement and appreciation of the clear blue sky. As a birder, my eyes are always on the sky looking at the birds that are flying about, especially in the early days of the spring migration season. This day, turned out to be spectacular in what I found as I did my usual scan of the sky for birds. I lifted my eyes skyward and there I saw it, a very large black bird being trailed by a gull, a few feet behind. My first thought was its the usual Turkey Vulture enjoying a wind thermal lifting it lazily on the March breezes. With a longer gaze and knowing that gulls normally don't mob vultures, the black bird's tail and head caught the sun's rays and displayed a brilliant flash of white. My first thought was don't get too excited it can't be a Bald Eagle, not very common and plus, you have never seen one in the 23 years you have lived in Commerce Twp. You have only seen them on the Great Lakes and in Florida. My birding skills took over once again, I ran inside the house, grabbed my binoculars, raised them to my eyes, and I was thrilled to confirm my first Bald Eagle soaring freely in the sky above my home. I watched as the eagle twisted and turned as the gull gently mobbed it without much threat of contact. The photographer in me said, quick, grab your camera and record this moment. This is one of those moments that you live for as a birding photographer. I ran back inside the house, grabbed my camera, swapped out the short Canon 24-105mm telephoto lens for the longer reach of the Canon 100-400mm lens. I raised the camera to the sky and was able to capture a few confirming photos of the eagle and gull in a dangerous dance of bird mobbing. The eagle was kind enough to stay in sight for a few photos before it flew off to locations unknown as it made its spring migration to its summer breeding grounds.

A day full of triumph for me, to see a Bald Eagle in my area of Michigan and the ability to photograph the event for my birding blog.

Happy Spring and a fine way to start the bird migration season with the symbolic bird of freedom and democracy, the Bald Eagle.

Happy Birding!

Janet

7 comments:

Jen said...

What a great day you had! Very exciting to see these great birds in flight. I get so excited sometimes when I see a great bird flying that I take lousy shots. Nice job on yours!

Kelly said...

I just love seeing eagles flying free too! Great flight captures. I can't believe how far the eagle has come. When I was a kid, they were on the brink of extinction, now slowly they are repopulating my state too. I can't wait for one to nest near us....we keep hoping! :-)

幸雨 said...

幸福是人人都要,又怎麼可能都歸你所有?要知道這世界幸福本來就不多........................................

文行文行 said...

nice to know you ~........................................

林守全 said...

how do u do?................................................................

瑜吟 said...

A片-殺很大 成人a影片論壇 kk777視訊俱樂部 avdvd情色影片 嘟嘟無碼a片情色 視訊聊天 視訊交友聊天室 avdvd無碼情色電影 卡通美女a片免費試看 小魔女免費影片3d 美女視訊免費看 哈拉網路成人區 jp成人jp58 avooo影音 a片天堂 ut影音視訊聊天室13077 aa免費影片 s383情色大網咖免費a片 網愛聊天室 hilive-免費影片 甜心寶貝貼影片 免費成人片觀賞 xvediox免費影片 sod特輯 sex520免費影片yawu uthome視訊聊天室 av女優王國 情色a片flashxyz utobe影片分享 小弟貼影片 bt成人 免費視訊美眉 A片-sex520 免費a片 獸皇影片分享區 小澤圓線上免費影片 女生自衛影片 日本a電影 okav成人影院 免費avdvd影片 免費線上影片 情色a片 免費無碼a片 小魔女影片交流 嘟嘟情人色網影片 華人色片 ol線上免費影片 葉子媚影片分享 色瞇瞇影片網 熟女人影片 金瓶影片交流區-無碼a片 免費影片-無碼a片 免費影片欣賞 aaaaa7777788 卡提諾成人 . . . .

裕以 said...

faith will move mountains. ..................................................